Arizona Registrar of Contractors

   Tuesday July 26, 2016 07:05 AM Contact FAQ Site Map  

Attention ROC Customers

Need to reach AZ ROC in general? Send all correspondence to: Arizona Registrar of Contractors, 1700 W Washington Street, Suite 105, Phoenix, AZ 85007-2812. If you have any questions, please call 1-877-692-9762 (1-877-MY-AZROC).

Experience Requirements

Experience Requirements FAQ

  1. What kind of experience is required for a contractor's license?

    Credit is given for experience as a journeyman, foreman, supervising employee or contractor.
    • A journeyman is a person who has completed an apprenticeship program or is an experienced worker, not a trainee, and is fully qualified and able to perform the trade without supervision.
    • A foreman or supervisor is a person who has the knowledge and skill of a journeyman and directly supervises physical construction.
    • A contractor is a person who manages the daily activities of a construction business, including field supervision.

    Contracting experience will also be considered from currently licensed Arizona contractors, formerly licensed Arizona contractors and the official personnel listed in our records for an Arizona contractor's license.

    All experience claims must be verifiable by a qualified and responsible person, such as a homeowner, an employer, a fellow employee, other journeymen, a contractor, a union representative, a building inspector, an architect or an engineer.

    The person verifying your claim must have first-hand knowledge of your experience, that is, he or she must have observed the work that you have done.
  2. How much experience is required?

    Refer to form License Classification Requirements RC-L-206B to determine License Classification experience requirements.
  3. Are there education requirements for a license?

    No. You do not have to meet any educational requirements in order to qualify for a contractor's license.
  4. May I substitute any education, technical training, or apprenticeship training for the required experience?

    You may receive credit for technical training, apprenticeship training, or education which may be substituted for a portion of the required four years of practical experience.

    You must provide written documentation of any training or education claimed in place of experience. Acceptable documentation includes copies of apprenticeship certificates and college transcripts.

click menu tab again to hide menu
AZ.GOV - Arizona's
Official Website